January 3, 2011: Will Service In the U.S. Armed Forces Give Legal Status?

Will Service In the U.S. Armed Forces Give Legal Status?

If an immigrant joins the U.S. Army will he get legal status?
— Anonymous

At this time, the law does not allow persons who are in the United States illegally to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. If enacted into law, the Development, Relief, and Education of Alien Minors (DREAM) Act would provide a way for undocumented persons to gain legal resident status in the United States. It is unknown at this time what the exact legal requirements would be to qualify for this benefit.

During the most recent debates in Congress over the DREAM Act, the general requirements to qualify under the DREAM Act were graduation from high school, good character, and at least two years of higher education or at least two years of military service. There will probably be an age and/or date restriction. If you, a loved one, or a friend may benefit from the DREAM Act, you should contact your local congressperson and voice your opinion.

Michael Shane and Evan Shane, Immigration Attorneys

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *