June 9, 2008: How To Replace Lost U.S. Passport And Naturalization Certificate

How to Replace Lost U.S. Passport And Naturalization Certificate

I am a United States citizen. I lost all of my papers including my passport and naturalization certificate. I don’t know what I have to do to get them back.
— Gerardo

Unfortunately, people lose their passports and naturalization certificates all of the time. You must report your lost passport immediately to the Passport Services at the U.S. Department of State and apply for a new passport. To obtain another passport, you should go to http://www.travel.state.gov/ to see which of the 9,000 passport acceptance facilities is closest to you. You will have to apply in-person at one of these facilities because you lost your passport. Along with Form DS-11, Application for Passport, you will also need to fill out and submit Form DS-64, which is a statement regarding your lost passport. You will need to bring with you two passport-style photos, proof of your citizenship (such as a photocopy of your naturalization certificate or passport), and a current identification. Note, if you do not immediately apply for a new passport, you should immediately send the DS-64 statement to the U.S. Department of State so it has a record of your lost passport.

If you do not have any proof of your U.S. citizenship to obtain the new passport, you will first need to file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. This form is filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center that has jurisdiction over your State along with two passport-style photos, $380.00 filing fee, and an explanation regarding your lost Naturalization Certificate.

Before you file for a new passport or to replace your lost naturalization certificate, you may want to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss any concerns you may have.

Michael Shane and Evan Shane, Immigration Attorneys